11.06.2005

27

Today was my 27th birthday. 27 is a little weird. It seems like these days I tell people I'm twenty-seven and they say, "Yeah, that's about right," but when I was 23 & 24 people would say, "oh, you're just a baby, you're so young!"

Georgia weather is gorgeous. People keep telling me, "you'll miss the snow before you know it." I tell them I will not. I mean, have you ever been to Buffalo? Buffalo!? People don't bring up Buffalo and snow because it's funny or cool to talk about. Just let me enjoy the warm weather. I like being able to go outside in November without a winter coat and gloves and a hat.

I woke up this morning to a beautiful breakfast table set with one of my favorite foods, a pile of presents and a big happy boy who was excited to see his older, but gracefully ageing Daddy. We went for a walk outside to enjoy the fall weather in the afternoon. I watched the last golf tournament of the PGA season and then went to the driving range for the first time since I began graduate school. Birthdays make you feel a bit nostalgic for some reason. So in this short moment of reflection, I truly feel blessed. 27 years is a long time to be alive.

|
TAKE ME TO CONEY ISLAND